Wildlife Wanders is a new project funded by Big Lottery Awards 4 All programme. The aim of the project is to introduce new audiences to wildlife, whilst also giving people already involved a chance to learn more. There will be a mix of practical skills training and species identification.
The first few dates of the Wildlife Wanders programme have been confirmed as:
* Wednesday 13/7/11 5.30pm (or meet YMCA 5.00pm) Moorland Flowers and Birds
Baildon Moor, Top Car Park, Bingley Road.
A chance to visit the area of moorland that BEES have been controlling the bracken for several years. This visit will give us a chance to look in more detail at the moorland plants and birds.
* Wednesday 20/7/11 5.30 – 7.30pm Wildlife Recording with West Yorkshire Ecology
YMCA Building, Little Horton Lane, Bradford, BD5 0JG.
West Yorkshire Ecology will lead us through the natural history records held by the service, how we can access them and submit our own records in the future.
* Saturday 23/7/11 3 – 5pm Dragonflies and Damselflies
BEES Urban Nature Reserve, University Campus, Laisteridge Lane.
Steve Warrillow will lead this session at BEES UNR, which has two well developed ponds. We hope for a good number of dragonflies and damselflies for us to learn about and how to identify.
* Wednesday 27/7/11 8.00 - 10.30(approx) Bat Walk
Ian Butterfield will lead a walk to discover and identify bats in Roberts Park and the surrounding area. There wil be refreshments and an introduction about bats in the Half Moon cafe before we set off at around dusk.
Other elements of the programme are to be finalised but provisional dates are:
* Saturday 6/8/11 3 – 6pm
*Wednesday 10/8/11 5.30 – 7.30pm
* Wednesday 17/8/11 5.30 – 7.30pm
* Saturday 20/8/11 3 – 6pm
* Wednesday 24/8/11 5.30 – 7.30pm
* Wednesday 31/8/11 5.30 – 7.30pm
* Saturday 3/9/11 3 – 6pm
Topics to include: Urban sites, Flowers, Grasses, Insects, Moorland plants and Lichens
* Transport will be provided from the YMCA to the venues. Please contact the office to reserve a seat on the minibus